Monday, January 31, 2011

Language of the dying.

What do you do? What do you say? What is the best way to squash the elephant in the room?
" Well Bob, look on the bright side, you won't have to endure another election year."

Dad knows he is terminal, I know he knows, he knows that I know.. and still it is almost too sad to say the words out loud... Me, who cracks a joke at every uncomfortable situation, finds myself editing my snark.  Knowing that he would rather just have it out there.

Seriously, even his first Oncologist couldn't say the words..

















Months ago when I asked him if he minded that I blog about his cancer, he told me.. Just make sure you keep your sense of humor.
And I guess that is the only way to make it through.. laugh around the tears.

You really can't cheat death...no matter how hard you wish it.

Here is a little secret: If you are sitting with him, just shooting the shit, and you start to feel tears well up in your eyes.. It's okay, to let them go. We all know it is hard and sad. Chances are you will get a great big Bob hug, after you blow your nose.

 

3 comments:

  1. I went to the doctor last week. Surprisingly I was diagnosed with an eye disease that can potentially make me go blind. When the exam was all over, the doctor seemed hesitant to talk to me. I asked him, "Just tell me doc, am I going to die?" He rolled his eyes at me and said, "I promise you're never ever going to die, ever. In fact in 700 years you may wish otherwise." I guess I was asking for the sarcasm that I was delt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad is so relieved he doesn't have to go through radiation and chemo. I am so relieved mom and dad aren't going to spend the time he has left going to insensitive Dr.'s, bitchy nurses and crappy hospitals. He is still alive and feeling better after his surgery. It is time to celebrate life and enjoy every moment we have with him. For now, I am replacing my sad tears with tears of joy and laughter because we still have time to enjoy him.

    For Gods sake, he isn’t dead yet!

    ReplyDelete