Sunday, January 30, 2011

How they got their name..

I am often asked.. "Who are the teenagers?".. Well my parents, Duh.. "Why do you call them that?"
Here is the long answer.

After moving to Boston at age 17. I spent 20 long years away from my parent.
In that time they had finished raising their seven kids and were on the cusp of retirement.

The idea was I was going to move in their house with Mike and we would take over the  mortgage and keep the house up as they travelled the world. Giving them a place to land in between adventures.


Dad retires, they sell their car and off into the great unknown they go..

 Now in that time before they took their first trip I noticed somethings had changed.

The parents I was raised by, were always worried about providing for the kids.. Watching every penny.. Responsible in the most adverse of circumstance.
 When I left the boys were still young.. still needed to be educated, fed, a silly thing like a roof over their heads.  Although my parents always knew how to have a good time, there follies were limited due to funds and many mouths to feed.

These new parents I was getting to know, went out to eat, went to the movies, bought hot tubs and no longer spent their Sunday's sitting in Church.
They ate junk food and left trails of crumbs on route to the TV.


They became officially The Teenagers when they got back from Greece or Mexico, who knows..

One day I get home from being out and about with Mike. All the lights were burning. The house was unlocked.. and they were gone somewhere in my car...

When I went to go to work the next day, the fuel was low and the speakers were cranked up with Vivaldi or some Opera blasting at me at 5:30 am..

From that day forward I have called them The Teenagers..
Married so very young, having to think of everyone but themselves for decades, my parents were finally free to do what they wanted to do!


They look like they are up to something!
And I wouldn't want it any other way!

1 comment:

  1. They are always up to something......Beware, you never know what they may be up to next!

    ReplyDelete